Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information Yacht Safe may collect and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- When you create a Yacht Safe account or sign up to our blogs, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, phone number, email address, sail number, racing division and contact preferences.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on Yacht Safe’s latest announcements, software updates and upcoming events. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out at any time by updating your preferences.
- We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver and improve our services, content and advertising, and for loss-prevention and anti-fraud purposes.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Yacht Safe, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis and research, to improve Yacht Safe’s services and customer communications.
- If you enter into a sweepstake, contest or similar promotion, we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as language, postcode, area code, unique location and the time zone where a Yacht Safe service is used, so that we can better understand customer behaviour and improve our products, services and advertising.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including search queries. This information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Except in limited instances, to ensure the quality of our services over the Internet, such information will not be associated with your IP address.
- With your explicit consent, we may collect data about how you use your device and applications, in order to help our app developers improve our app.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information, the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
As is true of most Internet services, we gather some information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes IP addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit websites and applications, operating system, date and time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information to understand and analyse trends, administer the site, learn about user behaviour on the site, and improve our product and services. Yacht Safe may use this information in our marketing and advertising services.
Disclosure to Third Parties
Yacht Safe shares personal information with companies that provide services such as information processing, extending credit, fulfilling customer orders, delivering, managing and enhancing customer data, providing customer service, assessing your interest in our services, and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever Yacht Safe operates.
It may be necessary — by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence — for Yacht Safe to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
We may also disclose information about you if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions, or protect our operations or users. Additionally, in the event of a reorganisation, merger or sale, we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
Yacht Safe takes the security of your personal information very seriously.
When you use some Yacht Safe, services or applications, or post on a Yacht Safe forum, chat room or social networking service, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Access to Personal Information
You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete and up to date by logging in to your account at http://app.yachtsafe.com.au. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access for any purpose — including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate, or to delete the data if Yacht Safe is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous or vexatious, that jeopardise the privacy of others, that are extremely impractical or for which access is not otherwise required by local law.
Third-Party Sites and Services
Yacht Safe websites, products, applications and services may contain links to third-party websites, products and services. Our products and services may also use or offer products or services from third parties. Information collected by third parties, which may include such things as location data or contact details, is governed by their privacy practices. We encourage you to learn about the privacy practices of those third parties.
Yacht Safe Pty Ltd. PO Box 314, Leopold, Victoria, 3224